Sunday, March 10, 2013

Book Review- Marked (House of Night Book #1) P.C Cast and Kristin Cast

Synopsis:  The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampyres have always existed.  In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire -- that is, if she makes it through the Change.  Not all of those who are chosen do.  It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling.  She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx.  But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers.  When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

Shelly's Thoughts:
I've heard good things about this series, so I bit the bullet and once more ventured into the YA area of my bookstore. I ended up picking up a box set with the first four books of this series, and sat down to read the first one earlier today. It's a fairly quick read, and interesting.

I did like the different take on vampirism. I like the idea of the school, and I especially like that not all of the chosen make it. The Greek mythology emphasis is very nifty too.

It did however take me a while to stop rolling my eyes every time I saw the word vampyre. So far it's looking to be a promising series. I'll start Betrayed as soon as I can.

Rating:
★★★☆☆
Total Length:
306 pages
Formats: Kindle, Epub and traditional
Publication Date: May 1, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment