Saturday, March 16, 2013

Book Review-- Business and Pleasure by Jinni James

Synopsis:
Elizabeth Hamilton is a smart and successful business woman. After her parents died, Elizabeth moved her college student sister in with her, took over her family's business, and even started one of her own. She has no time in her life for a relationship. Her company is her passion, it is what gets her up in the morning, what drives her, it's what she lives for so when Alexander Preston comes in and decides he wants to buy it from her it is no surprise that Elizabeth fights for what is hers.

Quickly Elizabeth realizes there is a spark between the two of them, a spark that she decides to ignore until Alexander presses her for more. Elizabeth feels the internal struggle between her desire for this man and her passion for her company.

Elizabeth soon discovers that there is something going on in her company behind closed doors that she is unaware of. Fighting for what she believes in, as well as her company, may just unearth some secrets she didn't know were buried.

Shelly's Thoughts:
I got this book as a freebie through Amazon, and started reading it. Life got in the way and I finished it this morning. Overall, I did enjoy the book. It was a nice read, the characters were interesting, and flawed to some extent. The author gives a lot of description and sets the tone for the story very nicely.

There were a few things that I didn't like. The pacing of this story really didn't work with me. It happened so quickly, especially the main romance--the admission of love, the moving in, the 'end game' if you will. Alex was also a little too perfect. I like my men a little more flawed, but that's just me.  The side romances (the sister, the assistant) also were super fast forwarded.

There were a couple of editing slips too. Author's in-text reminders, or a few things that just weren't supposed to be there. Normally I can overlook things but "WHAT WAS HIS SURNAME AGAIN" makes me snicker. I wasn't overly fond of the present tense either. But that's another personal thing. Some people may enjoy it--I just wasn't overly warm to it.

I think with a bit more expansion of the plot and the character's lives I would have rated it higher. I did like it, and would recommend it to a few of my friends who enjoy books like these. I would like to read more of Ms. James' work.

Rating:
★★★☆☆
Total Length: Not stated.
Format: Epub, Kindle.
Publication Date: January 21, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment